Finding Balance: How to Stay Consistent as an Ultra Runner During the Holidays
The holiday season is a time of joy, celebration, and yes, a little chaos. As ultra runners, we know that staying consistent with our training can be a challenge during this busy time of year. With parties, family gatherings, and other important life events, it's easy for running to take a backseat. But fear not, my fellow runners, because I'm here to share some tips on how to find that elusive balance and stay on track with your training during the holidays.
1. Set Realistic Goals: It's important to set realistic goals for yourself during this time. Understand that your training might not be at its peak, and that's okay. Instead of aiming for a new personal record, focus on maintaining your current level of fitness and enjoying your runs. This mindset shift will take away the pressure and allow you to fully embrace the holiday spirit.
2. Get Creative: The holiday season often means busy schedules and less free time. But this doesn't mean you have to give up your runs entirely. Get creative with your training schedule. If you have a jam-packed day, wake up a little earlier and hit the road before the chaos ensues. Alternatively, if you have family staying with you, suggest going for a run together as a way to bond and spend time outdoors.
3. Plan Ahead: Just like you plan your holiday shopping or family gatherings, make sure to plan your runs as well. Block off time in your calendar for your workouts and treat them as non-negotiable appointments. By planning ahead, you'll stay committed to your training and avoid any last-minute schedule conflicts.
4. Embrace the Festivities: The holidays are a time to celebrate and indulge a little. Allow yourself to enjoy the delicious treats and special meals that come with the season. Remember, running is not just about physical fitness but also about mental and emotional well-being. So go ahead, have that extra slice of pie or a glass of mulled wine, guilt-free.
5. Connect with the Running Community: The running community is a wonderful source of motivation and support. During the holidays, reach out to fellow runners, join virtual races, or participate in local running events. Being surrounded by like-minded individuals can reignite your passion for running and help you stay consistent.
Finding balance as an ultra runner during the holidays may be challenging, but it's not impossible. By setting realistic goals, getting creative with your training schedule, planning ahead, indulging a little, and connecting with the running community, you'll find that you can stay consistent even amidst the holiday chaos.
Remember, we are not paid athletes, and it's important to prioritize other important life events happening around us. So give yourself grace, have fun, and make the most of this festive time.
Happy running and happy holidays!